Broomfield SILC

Careers Advice

Careers means anything that pupils do after leaving school. This could be a job or a college course, but it could also mean other provision such as through Social Services.

At Broomfield we aim to make sure that every student is placed into a suitable option when they leave school. Careers advice includes:

  • advising pupils and parents/carers on the different options available
  • supporting pupils with their applications to their chosen options
  • If it is a college, checking to make sure the pupil has been accepted
  • If it is a college, checking to make sure the pupil has started the course

Broomfield South SILC Careers Programme

Broomfield South SILC Policy on Provider Access

Parents/carers will be invited to careers interviews in school, but can also contact the Careers Adviser at any time.

All pupils will receive independent and impartial advice about all the education, training and employment opportunities on offer, regardless of their individual circumstances: and connected areas such as use of leisure time and money (including grants and benefits) will be included. Careers education will be delivered through the curriculum and links made to all relevant curriculum areas in whole class, small group and individual teaching opportunities. 

Individual guidance interviews will be offered to students in Years 9, 11, 13 and 14 

Year 9 students

Students and their parents/ carers will be invited to an individual careers meeting with the school careers advisor. It will be explained to parents/ carers that there will be a person centred review for their child later in the year and the purpose of the careers meeting is to prepare a careers report to inform that meeting. The report will include a statement of intent for their continued future provision.

Year 11 students

Students and their parents/ carers will be invited to an individual careers meeting with the Careers Advisor. At the meeting future options for the student will be discussed and if they are leaving school support will be offered with applications etc.

Year 13

In the summer term students and their parents/ carers will be invited to an individual careers meeting with the school careers advisor where they can discuss their future options in order to make informed choices at the beginning of Year 14. 

Year 14

The careers advisor will work with students on an individual or group basis as required in order to assist in reviewing their options, completing application forms and preparing for interviews. 

Our school Careers Advisor is Gordon Kerr, who is available to see all students in Year 8 and above for a careers interview, with parents/carers invited.

A written report is then produced and sent to parents/carers.

You can contact the Careers Adviser at any time on 0113 277 1603 or with any queries.


Impact -

All students to have applied to at least one realistic post-school option six months before they leave. Parents fully involved. Careers Adviser processes most applications and deals with queries.


Destinations monitored for at least three years after students leave to check for NEET. Regular contact with post-school providers such as colleges to see how former students are progressing.


Termly use of Compass monitoring tool and regular contact with Local Enterprise Partnership.


Date for Review -  end of school year 20/7/20.

Broomfield SILC College links

Students can leave school at the end of Year 11 but many of our pupils choose to remain at school into our 6th form provision many until they are 19, but some until they are 17 or 18. This allows students to continue to learn with more of an emphasis on development life skills.

Many of our students attend link courses from school. Most students can go to college for up to three years. 











 Further Education Opportunities

College courses are differentiated to meet the needs of students.  Students have the option to undertake:

Level 3 (courses at A level standard)

Level 2 (courses at GCSE standard)

Level 1 (First level of mainstream courses)

Entry Level 3 (higher level special needs, mainly vocational courses)

Entry Level 2 (sometimes vocational, but also life skills)

Entry Level 1 (mainly life skills but can have vocational units) – some courses here may be described as Pre-Entry level and are for those with higher support needs.

Some courses cut across these levels. The important point is to realise that there will be a college course at an appropriate level for every student. Many students go up these levels while at college – some start at Entry Level but then move to mainstream levels.

In recent years, most of our students have attended college for three years. In 2017 several were offered a fourth year if their EHCP said they needed this.

Recently, colleges have developed more courses aimed at supported employment which often have long term placements. These courses can help students move into work when they leave college.

It is important to realise that colleges have experienced staff to support those with special needs. This includes, teachers, teaching assistants, care staff and, if needed, medical workers. Broomfield staff will liaise with college staff to make sure important information is passed on. Part of this is the Education Health and Care Plan which will be transferred from school to college. The EHCP can be retained until someone is 25 years if they stay in education or training.

Locally the biggest college is Leeds City College which has several sites throughout the city. The sites where courses are based are subject to change. This college is a good option for many of our leavers. Go to for more information (go to Courses and Apprenticeships then Courses and then individual college areas such as nABLE.) or ask school for a paper prospectus. On the website they also have details of Open Days. At present, many of the SEN courses are at the Beeston campus. Services within Vine (for students with the highest level of need) are now part of Leeds City College.

Other local colleges include

Swarthmore College (a small college in the city centre – look at and go to Study Programme).

Leeds College of Building ( This college runs an EHCP course covering range of trades called Bridge Builder. This course is only briefly mentioned on their wesbite under Inclusive Learning Service. They offer a range of Level 1 courses which can support students who are not quite at this level. 

Askham-Bryan College (

The Leeds Campus at Temple Newsam closed in 2017. The college offers a wide range of courses in Animal Care and Horticulture (including some at Entry level) at its York Campus. At present, there is a bus from Leeds City Centre that goes there. Go to Foundation Vocational Programmes then Entry level Independence Programmes.

Wakefield College (on various sites) Look for FLEX courses and individual study areas.

Kirklees College (

Bradford College (

Shipley College (

Be aware that college courses normally run three days a week so there may be a need for activities for other days. Social Services may be able to help here (if you have a Social Worker) although part-time employment or volunteering may be good ideas

Transport can still be provided to college. As with school, more young people are being supported to travel independently.

Independent Specialist Colleges

If local college provision is not suitable on educational grounds, it may be possible to attend a specialist college. There are several of these around the country. Go to for more details and links through to individual college sites. Some places are fairly local and can be attended on a daily basis. These include Pennine Camphill Community (near Wakefield) and Henshaws (near Harrogate with another branch in Bradford for those aiming at employment) which also offer residential provision. Other places are further afield and students will live there during the week and possibly week-ends.

It is normally only possible to get the funding for these places if it can be shown that local provision is not suitable. Therefore, local colleges will be asked to undertake an assessment. Most students can attend local provision.  Applying to an independent specialist college can take a long time – so please ask in school if you need more information.

Employment opportunities

School leavers can still aim for employment after Year 11 as long as the job involves a training programme. However, many of our students benefit from extra time at school and college before aiming at a job.

At school, students will have careers lessons where they will find out about the world of work. Many can also go on work experience where they can get a real taste of a job.

There are several agencies that help people with special needs to find work. These include:

Mencap ( Leeds Royal Mencap, The Vinery Centre, 20 Vinery Terrace, York Road, Leeds LS9 9LU Tel: 0113 827 0058) They offer a programme called Employ Me which supports people into paid employment. They also offer Supported Internships and Traineeships.

SCOPE ( i2Office, No. 1 Leeds, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds LS12 1BE Tel: 0113 357 0330). They offer a programme called Kick Start for those job ready and one called Starting Line for those who need more support.

Specialist Autism Services ( Great Northern House, Junction 7 Business Park, Stourton, Leeds LS10 3DQ Tel; 0113 277 5656). Programmes include support to access Apprenticeships.

Remploy ( Ground Floor, Pheonix House, South Parade, Leeds LS1 5QX Tel : 0300 456 8022)

Pluss ( Ground Floor, Marsh lane, Leeds, LS9 8AX, Tel : 0113 848 0993)

People in Action and People Matters also offer employment programmes.

With the end of Connexions, Leeds City Council now run Jobshops for young people throughout the city – often on One Stop Centres. These can help young people who become unemployed. Aspire-igen (33 Eastgate, Leeds LS2 7RD Tel : 0330 111 0035) can also help young people look for work and also run training programmes.

Careerships, Traineeships and Apprenticeships can be hard to access for many of our students. Apprenticeships tend to be offered at Levels 2 or 3. Careerships or Traineeships can aim to raise students’ level and may be available at Level 1 or at Entry Level. Support there may be less that at school or college. This website has some information – look at aspire2work. NACRO also offer programmes that may suit some of our students (


Supported Internships are being developed in Leeds at the present time and will allow schools, colleges and other providers to support young people into long term work placements with the intention of it turning into a paid job. They are available to those 16-25 with an EHCP. We are running them in school and they are also being offered elsewhere including Leeds City College and Lighthouse Futures Trust (

Other Websites (aims to have all local provision for young people) (useful information plus a phone service for queries). Go to Job Profiles for information on a large range of careers. (range of local options) (for details on volunteering in Leeds) (information on a range of local services for people with learning disabilities) (information on a range of topics)

Social Services Provision/ Support for those who may not work

Some of our leavers will not work after they leave school or college. Some may work later on. If you have a Social Worker it would be good to ask them about support they can offer. This could include going to a  Fulfilling Lives Centre but also to day services which can include activities in the community with support. Some of this support can be provided directly but you may be able to access Direct Payments where you can buy services yourself. You may be able to access Direct Payments of you have a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) but no Social Worker.

If you do not have a Social Worker it may be worth asking for an assessment to see if your child meets their criteria for support. As children get older needs change – so even if you have not needed this support before you may now. Apart from day provision you may also want to ask about independent living for the future.

The call centre for Leeds Adult Social Services is 0113 222 4401.

Some worthwhile services can be seen at

Vine is now part of Leeds City College. Courses run three days a week. A few students have attended for five days when Social Services have offered extra funding. Vine offers a last chance of full-time further education although that may not suit everyone.

Future Horizons ( which has a day centre in Pudsey (but soon the move to bigger premises in Kitkstall) and a range of off-site activities. It was started by parents from West SILC and is an alternative to Vine at 19 but can also offer support for days not in Vine and for when vine finishes.

Affinity Trust ( The Gatehouse, Curtis Buildings, Berking Avenue, Leeds LS9 9LF Tel 0113 468 4460) has a day centre off York Road from which users are supported into off site activities.

Leisure and Benefits

Many of our students have plenty do in their spare time through their families, youth clubs, sports etc. However, it may be useful to be aware of some other places.

Leeds Mencap (

People in Action (

People Matters Leeds (

They offer a range of activities for different age groups – from on-site youth clubs to social groups in the community. There is also to City Council Youth Service which operate a number of youth groups.

Many of you will be aware of Disability Living Allowance (now called Personal Independence Payments). However, you should also be aware of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) which, if someone qualifies, can be paid from 16 years even if they are still in SEN education. Some people can get ESA for life while others will get it until they begin to work. It can be paid over and above DLA / PIP but can affect other benefits such as tax credits. Sometimes it is best to begin claiming from 19 years. Go to for more details or ask at local One Stop Centre.

Contact Gordon Kerr if you want more information or have any queries.